Thursday, September 04, 2014

Fast Food Workers Strike

Thousands of fast food workers went on strike today.  Demanding the minimum wage be raised to $15.  Simple economics prove that if fast food chains and small diners, cafés are forced to raise the minimum wage you can plan on spending more on that Big Mac or plate lunch.  I remember vividly when I worked at an entry level job for minimum wage when it was $3.25 per hour (it is now 7.25).  The congress was debating raising the wage and my co-workers were all for the raise.  I remember as soon as the wage was increased my hours and the hours of my co-workers were decreased by 25%.  Suddenly those workers were not in favor of the increase.  Businesses are forced to increase their prices or decrease the labor force to keep the bottom line stable.  In our current economy where we are facing rising inflation we can't afford higher prices on our Happy Meals.  I understand it is hard to survive on minimum wage, I also know many of those jobs are entry level and give employees an opportunity to advance and be promoted.  

No comments: